March 4, 2021 – April 1, 2021 N/A
Are piles of VHS tapes and audio cassettes tapes found on the shelves of your collections storage areas? Lack the confidence to jump-start and carry through the preservation of an endangered audio and/or video tape collection?
Through demos, case studies, and practice with hands on activities and discussions, participants in this 5 week course will learn how to:
- analyze information contained in inventories to develop a project scope;
- decide on preservation file types;
- calculate both digitization and storage costs;
- adopt recommended practices for safeguarding the files and metadata;
- evaluate their institutional capacity to carry out audio or video tape preservation in-house.
Participants will also be introduced to finding a vendor and preparing for/managing an outsourced project, along with post-digitization quality assurance to make sure you got what you paid for.