Connecting to Collections Care Online Community

Storage for small objects

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author
      Lillian Page
      Participant

Hi all,

I’m trying to create a storage plan for small objects ranging in size from about the size of a (US) dime to 2″x2″. The final storage container will be placed on open shelving covered with a dust cover (unfortunately, buying museum cabinets isn’t an option). I’m looking for ideas about how to maximize my storage space without having to stack storage containers too high. Right now I’m considering shallow boxes with dividers and adjusting the distance between shelves to accommodate boxes only stacked 2 or 3 high. Ideally, I’d like to be able to pack the items in their storage containers and then move them to our new storage facility. Does anyone have experience with this?

Thank you,
      Lillian Page

Evelyn
      Participant

That sounds like a great idea! what kind of boxes will you be using?

Lillian Page
      Participant

Hi Evelyn,

Thank you! I’m looking at E-flute corrugated board boxes–acid-free, lignin-free–with dividers made out of the same. What are your thoughts on how many boxes I could stack on top of one another safely? I’m thinking no more than 3, even though these are lightweight items. I also may wind up stacking trays inside of a box (we have quite a few trays on hand, I’m finding). Do you think that stacking these no more than 3 high would be suitable as well?

Thank you,
      Lillian

Evelyn
      Participant

I would think that three high would be enough, four if the items are light weight and as for inside, as long as the weight is evenly supported and not touching the artefacts, I would say three should be fine

Lillian Page
      Participant

That’s very helpful, thank you, Evelyn!

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • The forum ‘Connecting to Collections Care Forum Archives – 2015 through 2018’ is closed to new topics and replies.