Connecting to Collections Care Online Community

Scanner Advice

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author
      Erin E.
      Participant

Hello all! I archive collections for the Portland Youth Philharmonic (PYP) which is a youth symphony non-profit organization. PYP would like to invest money into buying a scanner to process it’s growing archives of newspaper clippings, photographs, large posters, and many more. The archives has never bought a scanner before. Our archives is pretty new. My question is what scanners does everybody here use in their organization and/ or do they have any recommendations on what good-quality scanner my organization should invest money in. Thank you very much!

Anisha Gupta
      Participant

Hi Erin,

I think the first thing to think about is the format of your objects. If you have a lot of large format works (so bigger than 8×10) you should get a scanner that is big enough to accommodate that in one shot. You can always stitch the images together but that creates more work and you have to fit that into your workflow.

Also, depending on what it is and how it is to be used, scanning can be overkill. Snapping a picture with a good DSLR camera may be plenty good and a lot faster. You just need a jig to make sure the camera is squared to the subject. This is the Internet Archive technique.

I hope this helps! And it would be great to hear from others!

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • The forum ‘Connecting to Collections Care Forum Archives – 2015 through 2018’ is closed to new topics and replies.