Connecting to Collections Care Online Community

Question on Feathers

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author
      Zelia Brandt
      Participant

Dear colleagues, I’m a conservator-restorer and I work in a private studio in Brasilia, Brazil. I have a question on feathers to help solving a problem that happend in a small museum called Indigenous People Memorial. A piece made of feathers from Urubu K’aapor ethnicity suffered an accident by the cleaning staff. A liquid black wax used in the museum leaked from one floor to another through the concrete wall cracks and splattered on the piece, which was in the laboratory of conservation and restoration. Does anyone know or could indicate a professional that works with feathers or indigenous objects?? I would greatly appreciate any contribution, given that this museum has few resources for restoration and research. Thanks, Zélia zeliabrandt@yahoo.com

panderson32

This is a response to Zelia Brandt’s inquiry about feathers damaged by wax. Objects conservator T. Rose Holdcraft provided the following information:

There is a book entitled the Conservation of Fur, Feather and Skin edited by Margot M. Wright with 2 descriptive articles on cleaning and nuances of cleaning objects with feathers as well as a single feather that can be positioned flat on a blotting surface.

Perhaps inquire with Marcia Rizzo, director Restoration in PUC-SP Brazil at mrizzo@mrizzo.com.br , or Marcia Rizzo could provide names of other colleagues in cultural heritage who may be available to assist.

If you would like more specifics on solvent cleaning or other information, please send further details about the situation.

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • The forum ‘Connecting to Collections Care Forum Archives – 2015 through 2018’ is closed to new topics and replies.