Connecting to Collections Care Online Community

Lead Rot

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
      Kate Brownrigg
      Participant

Is there a way to prevent “lead rot” and can anyone tell me what causes it?

Thanks!

Athena Moore
      Participant

Hi Kate! By “lead rot”, are you referring to something that’s happening to a metal object? Or do you mean “red rot”, a commonly used term for dry and desiccated leather?

Athena Moore
        Participant

Or are you looking for paintings and/or photography conservation guidance?

Athena Moore
      Participant

For true “lead rot” issues, improving storage is the best course of action – keeping objects out of wooden cabinets, keeping the environment dry, etc. It’s a form of corrosion that eats lead much like rust eats iron, so the main causes are moisture and lack of air circulation.

There are a number of interesting articles on the web about this, many of them from miniatures collectors!

Kate Brownrigg
      Participant

Hi Athena,

Thanks for replying. I was asking about metal objects for someone who has miniatures affected by this problem. I’ve seen articles on the web but was also wondering if there is a way to treat it beyond providing correct storage?

Thanks!
      Kate

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • The forum ‘Connecting to Collections Care Forum Archives – 2015 through 2018’ is closed to new topics and replies.