Connecting to Collections Care Online Community

Language on Shadow Boxes

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
      Toni Kiser
      Participant

Hi All,
      I am wondering if anyone has any language/FAQ answer that they use when it comes to shadow boxes. Specifically, why as a museum you would dismantle them.
      Many folks have such a strong (negative) reaction, even after I explain the need for archival quality housing, they still feel like taking them apart is a “desecration.”
      Any insight would be greatly appreciated!!

Toni Kiser
      The National WWII Museum

Maggie Wessling
      Participant

Hi Toni,
      Could you clarify what you mean by shadow boxes? What kinds of materials are stored in these enclosures? Pictures would also be helpful if you have them.
      Thank you,
      Maggie Wessling

Maggie Wessling
      Participant

Hi Toni,
      Circling back on your topic, I can share this short article about the artist Joseph Cornell, master of the shadow box medium:
      http://www.ccaha.org/uploads/media_items/wonderland-preserving-the-art-of-joseph-cornell.original.pdf

The article discusses the context of Cornell’s shadow boxes, which informs how a conservator approached their treatment. You may consider this in regards to your collection and make your decision about preserving the shadow boxes based on the value of keeping the original configuration versus any detriment certain materials might pose to one another when in close contact. If you do decide to separate the elements it is of course important to document the process so the boxes could be easily reassembled. One suggestion is to treat the process like you would an album of clippings or photographs that required disassembling- taking pictures of the object beforehand and numbering everything based on its original location.

I hope this is helpful and I would be happy to find answers to more specific questions if you have them.
      Best,
      Maggie Wessling

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • The forum ‘Connecting to Collections Care Forum Archives – 2015 through 2018’ is closed to new topics and replies.