Connecting to Collections Care Online Community

Financial Donation Thank you letter

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author
      David C
      Participant

Greetings,

Our Historical Society Treasurer wants to send Thank you letters to our financial donors. That makes total sense. She and our President were looking for suggestions what to put in the letter. It seems logical what to put in the letters so I gave them a few suggestions. They wanted more suggestions especially from those who previously sent thank you letters for financial donations. Sounds like our President and Treasurer have never received a thank you letter before.

We are a Historical Society and we manage a Museum in an old Victorian home (Lots of bills to pay; upkeep, etc). We were Chartered by NYS in 1973. We have very few (practically nil) fundraising projects. Most all donations we receive do not come with a note saying the donation is for a specific purpose.

My suggestions were to include the dollar amount of the donation in the letter (so the donor could use the letter at tax time). I also said to include a statement that says “Gifts to the Hadley-Lake Luzerne Historical Society are tax deductible as charitable contributions, to the extent permitted by law.” I suggested ending the letter with “We are most grateful for your donation and your interest in the Hadley-Lake Luzerne Historical Society.”

If anyone has any additional suggestions, please let me know.

Thanks

David Cranston, Curator
      Hadley-Lake Luzerne Historical Society
      52 Main St – PO Box 275
      Lake Luzerne, NY 12846-0275

Susan-1

David,

You are on the right track for donation letters. They are very important and should not be neglected or ignored. There are many resources for these letters – here is one: http://www.thefundraisingauthority.com/individual-fundraising/sample-donor-thank-you-letter/. Just Google “donor thank you letters” for more.

Susan

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • The forum ‘Connecting to Collections Care Forum Archives – 2015 through 2018’ is closed to new topics and replies.