Connecting to Collections Care Online Community

Art Collection Databases for Private Collector

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • Author
      Jeanie Craig
      Participant

Hello, I would like your recommendations for a art collection database for private collectors with 150 or less pieces of art. We would like to store sale documentation in .pdf format, high resolution photos of the art as well as the “Getty ID” description. There are so many on the marketplace, and I would like to talk with art collection managers who have actually used a particular program, rather than just sales people.

Elizabeth La Duc
      Participant

Hello, Jeanie,
      This question is outside my area of expertise but I’ll ask around and get back to you as soon as possible.
      Thanks for posting to the forum,
      Elizabeth La Duc

Jeanie Craig
      Participant

Thank you, Elizabeth. This is my first post to the forum. Did I post to the entire membership?

Elizabeth La Duc
      Participant

Hello,
      Both your first and second message posted to the forum, which is visible to the public. The entire Connecting to Collections Care community has the ability to see your post, but whether members actually read it depends on how often they visit the forum and/or whether they have set their email preferences to be notified of new posts.
      I’m still looking into your original question and will get back to you soon,
      Elizabeth

Joe German
      Participant

Jeanie, I suggest you look at the Museum Archive Software at http://www.musarch.com . It is a basic data base program intended for museums and archives but has a category for art which might meet your needs. I’ve used it for a small local history society for about 2 years and found it easy to learn and use, and very flexible. It has sections for condition, provenance, attaching photos, free form notes and attaching PDFs. The basic version is free and deluxe version requires purchasing a book on it (about $25 on Amazon).

Joe

Jeanie Craig
      Participant

Thank you, Joe. I’ll take a look!

Tasha Seren
      Participant

Hello Jeanie,
      I manage two private art collections and both use ArtBase.

http://artbase.com

They have a product that is designed specifically for private art collectors.
      I have been working on ArtBase for the last ten years and they have stayed current with technology. They now even have a mobile app. You can attach images, documents (word, excel or pdf formats) right in the database. There is a module for tracking financials as well as conservation, loans/exhibitions, provenance, location history, framing & crating, artist research, separate notes and description fields as well as a rolodex. It also has report writing features (both canned and custom).

I have experience using The Museum System, ArtSystems, a custom Filemaker database, and a custom Microsoft access database and ArtBase has been my favorite thus far. It is very intuitive and has everything that you need and more.

I have also heard good things about Collector Systems but have not had the occasion to test them out.

http://www.collectorsystems.com

I hope this helps.

Kind regards,
      -Tasha Seren

Jeanie Craig
      Participant

Hello Tasha, Thank you for the information! I did an analysis of on-line collection management databases, including ArtBase and found it to be very impressive in its capabilities. I went with Collector Systems because it most closely fit the needs of this particular project. I am always interested in feedback from other collection managers since every project has different parameters, and actual user experience is so valuable.

Best wishes,
      Jeanie

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • The forum ‘Connecting to Collections Care Forum Archives – 2015 through 2018’ is closed to new topics and replies.