Visual Storage

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author
      Anonymous
      Inactive

We’re planning on adding collection storage space, and considering making the space visual storage open to the public. I’ve found images from the Metropolitan Museum of Art, Sheldon Jackson Museum in Sitka, and the Museum of Anthropology in BC to help give upper management an idea of how different museums have used the idea. I’m looking for recommendations of other museums that have implemented visual storage and also any reference materials as to environmental controls (especially lighting) and security.
      Thanks!

Hey Samantha, our office put together a discussion on visible storage for our blog not too long ago. http://collectionsconversations.wordpress.com/2012/05/18/visible-storage/
      I’d recommend taking a look at an article the blog cites by Dee Stubbs-Lee. She’s a conservator in Canada who wrote an M.A. Thesis on visible storage. I’m pretty sure I remember some technical guidelines in there. I love the idea of visible storage and the example we have here in NC has been really successful, although they’re not hurting for storage space (so far). I do realize there are significant concerns about its implementation. Good luck with your process.

You might also want to look at the Smithsonian American Museum of Art and read about the Luce Center
      http://americanart.si.edu/luce/about/

Melissa Houston
      Participant

Hi Samantha – When The Barnum Museum closed its historic building back in 2010 due to damage received from a tornado we struggled with the idea of having something open to the public. In the end, we out-loaded thousands of artifacts from the historic building into our modern wing and opened that to the public with limited days and hours. Our visible storage was part of our “disaster recovery” and we plan on having it open to the public as work continues. You can check our website – we call the visible storage an exhibition and it is titled “Recovery in Action”. We’ve had great response from visitors but our docents have struggled with the interpretation of the space. Good luck!

Ella Rayburn

The Steamboat Arabia in Kansas City,Mo and the Corning Glass Museum in Corning, NY come to mind as museums with visible storage. Corning has cases of storage laid out in decending order of value, importance, or condition. The Arabia has an interpretive point of showing all the goods that were on the boat when it sank in the Missouri River.

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • The forum ‘C2C Community Archives – 2012 through 2014’ is closed to new topics and replies.