Storage of a sword

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author
      Megan Keller

Normal

Hello,
      My museum very recently acquired a civil war era sword and belt.  Does know of the best practices to store a sword or a good vendor to purchase an archival long box to accommodate the size of the sword?  Thank you for your time and let me know if you have any questions.

Ella Rayburn

Hi Megan:  University Products or Gaylord are my usual suppliers.  You may wish to consider buying blue board and make your own sword box.  A tube or “square tube” as I liked to call it, used for map or rolled item storage,might be long enough; or cut one down to fit on another one using hot glue or since on the outside, good packing tape.

The belt should be stored separately.  Gaylord has some 3 inch high boxes that might work well for the belt.  I would pad the box with appropriate tissue / polyester (read Gaylord’s description of which tissue for animal products) and pad the  belt so it does not get a pair of creases or cracks.  Might want to put tissue or acid free paper between the buckle and the leather.  Buckle might have a tendency to have some green oxidation where it meets the leather.  Better to remove the buckle for storage.

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • The forum ‘C2C Community Archives – 2012 through 2014’ is closed to new topics and replies.