staff training

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
      Lauren Paustian
      Participant

Hello,

Does any one have recommendations for companies that will do hands-on training for disaster recovery of library or archival collections? My institution is located in New York City.

Susan Knoer

Hi Lauren,

Have you contacted NEDCC or The Conservation Center for Art & Historic Artifacts (CCAHA)? Both are on the East Coast, so I’d start there. Also Lyrasis.

How fast you want it (next week? next year?) and how hands-on you want make some differences. Do you have enough space (and drainage) for a wading pool for some really authentic training, or do you want something a little less messy? Both have their advantages.

I did a wet demo with a tub and discarded materials for the Kentucky C2C series. It got a good response on site, since it prompts more questions when you’re gathered around wet “stuff”, and comments (I didn’t know a wet book was so heavy! How do you lift out all that paper without it tearing? The photographs are floating!)

There are links to all the presentations here
      http://history.ky.gov/sub.php?pageid=136&sectionid=13

or you can contact me at

http://www.masterplansinc.com

Susan Knoer

Lori Foley

Another possibility is METRO, the Metropolitan New York Library Council, based in NYC. It’s a member organization, so I don’t know whether you have to be a member to request a hands-on workshop. But it’s certainly worth exploring. Contact Professional Development Manager Laura Forshay at lforshay@metro.org.
      Lori Foley, VP of Emergency Programs, Heritage Preservation

ginny daley

Polygon (formerly Munters)is a commercial vender that does disaster recovery all over the US. They just did a ton of work in you area after Sandy. Anyway, they have a Code Blue program that is free, where they will come and do a disaster assessment for you and will keep your info on file, so that if & when you get hit, you can call them and they’ll show up with the right equipment. They are top drawer and have freeze drying chambers, etc. they can also do recovery of technology, mold remediation, replace flooring & walls, etc. Our institution has a standing contract with them and has used them several times.

Ginny Daley, University of Kentucky ginny.daley@uky.edu

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • The forum ‘C2C Community Archives – 2012 through 2014’ is closed to new topics and replies.