Slide scanning companies

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author
      Anonymous
      Inactive

We have some slides that are preservation copies of glass lantern slides that need to be scanned. Normally we would do it in-house, but our scanner is having issues picking up the images because there are black borders around the images (corresponds with the masking tape on the original slides).
      I contacted a company that did good work for me previously, but they have not responded. They were focused on the home market – I’m thinking we should go to a provider that does higher level service so that they can adjust for the image rather than running it through a mass processor. Does anyone have a recommendation for a scanning company that we could send these out too? Anyone have experience dealing with similar slides?

Joy Banks
      Participant

I’ve never used either of these companies, but I know institutions that have and have seen the excellent results that they provide. I’ve also dealt with representatives from both companies and have been impressed with their knowledge and concern for the items that they deal with every day.
      Northern Micrographics – http://www.normicro.com/DigitalImaging.aspx
      Backstage Library Works – http://www.bslw.com/digitization/

I believe both could provide the custom service that you are seeking.

Good luck!
      ~Joy

We have a relatively small collection of glass slides (75-80). We do our digitizing in-house so we put the slides one at a time on a light box, took photos of them with our Cannon 6D, and then used Gimp to invert them. The positive images came out well. Do you have a large collection?

Ronald Heroux
      Participant

One cost-free method I discovered – which produces excellent results – is to open a blank word-processing document (which produces an excellent white backdrop), rest the glass slide on the lip of the monitor, and then take a digital photo and then invert the colors with Picasa. You can flip the image (ctrl+shift+h) if you know it is backwards. This works for all but the darkest glass slides and is satisfactory for those who can’t afford professional processing.

Carolynn Ranftle
      Participant

We (historical society) purchased an Epson v750 scanner a few years ago for about $800 (grant money). It scans all/most photographic medium – slides, negatives including glass plates and lantern slides, film and prints. There are holders for the formats of various sizes so you can scan multiples at one time if you wish. There are options to store the target image in almost any format and resolution. We’ve been extremely happy with it. The light comes from top and bottom with a plate that covers up the top light for standard scanning. The only downside which has not affected us at all is that the webcam on your computer has to be disabled in order for it to work. I don’t know the cost of companies that scan slides, but I would guess it could add up for large quantities.

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • The forum ‘C2C Community Archives – 2012 through 2014’ is closed to new topics and replies.