sale of images

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
      Ronald Heroux
      Participant

A person contacted us about using some of our images for a newly forming restaurant. Since it’s a for-profit endeavor I’m inclined to charge a fee per image for our non-profit historical society. Does anyone else think this is more appropriate than just donating the images? Should there also be a ‘use agreement’?

Mark Dodge

Hi Ronald
      I think it’s very appropriate to charge for using photographs from your institution. I would also have them sign a use agreement. Here’s link to our online use policy and order form. Our pricing generally mirrors the Denver Public Library.
      http://www.goldenhistory.org/collections/purchase-photos/

Best,
      Mark Dodge
      Curator
      Golden History Museums, City of Golden
      303-277-8714

Lea Edgar

Hi Ronald,

As Mark mentioned, it is very appropriate. This is generally a cost recovery concern, but also helps to support non-profits such as us! We do not charge a “use fee” for decoration (not advertising), but we do charge a fee for us supplying the image, which involves scanning it and providing a high resolution digital copy, or supplying a high quality print. Your efforts and your collections have value, and the public should expect and understand that. As for what you should charge, I recommend looking at your neighbouring libraries, archives and museums to see what they charge and take an average. After this request is sorted out, make sure a clear policy and procedure is in place so you don’t have to worry about it again. If you would like to see our fee schedule and license agreement, I would be happy to send it to you. It’s not perfect and is in Canadian dollars, but it might be a place to start. Send me an email if you’re interested: archives[at]vancouvermaritimemuseum.com

Cheers,
      Lea Edgar
      Librarian/Archivist
      Vancouver Maritime Museum

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • The forum ‘C2C Community Archives – 2012 through 2014’ is closed to new topics and replies.