Removing adhesive from installed artifacts

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
      Wendi Murray
      Participant

Our museum is currently undergoing a major expansion and we are de-installing exhibits that were put in place in the early 1990s. I have found that many of our archaeological artifacts were mounted to the bottoms of educational pull-out drawers with some kind of adhesive for which we have no records – not sure if it is glue or quake wax. Any suggestions on how to safely remove glue from bone and ceramic artifacts? Will mineral spirits applied with a Q-tip damage these materials?

Mineral spirits are unlikely to do much, but you can try. If it’s wax, a thin flexible spatula slid underneath should work. I would hope that by the 1990’s no one in museums was using adhesives to stick down collection material, but I may be overly optimistic! Neither bone nor ceramics should be bothered by solvents, unless the bone was impregnated or coated with a resin. If it isn’t wax, the next most likely thing is something like Duco cement. If that’s it, a few drops from an eye dropper should at least start to dissolve it after a few minutes. If there’s a lot of adhesive, you can wet a cotton ball with the solvent, shove it up against the adhesive, and put aluminum foil around it so the solvent can do its work.

Kory Berrett

Objects waxed in place might also let go with a twisting motion. Be careful with the solvent approach though. If the ceramics are low-fired earthenware types, or if they are unglazed, they will be porous and can absorb liquids, including the diluted adhesive, to become stained. Stoneware or porcelain are non-porous and pretty much stain proof (though not entirely.)

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • The forum ‘C2C Community Archives – 2012 through 2014’ is closed to new topics and replies.