Recycling plastic artifact bags

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author
      Wendi Murray
      Participant

We go through a lot of artifact bags in our archaeology lab. These are flat, zipper polyethylene bags (2 or 4 mil) (and some are write-on bags). Most have writing (either Sharpie or archival ink pens) on them.I called our vendor (Associated Bag Company) to see if these bags are recyclable, but they did not know. Does anyone know if these bags are recyclable, or who I can call to find out? I hate throwing away plastic if I can help it.
      Thanks! Wendi

Brandy T.

I would like to know the answer to this, too. We have the same issue at our archy lab. Our campus has chided us for putting them in with the regular plastic recycling; I assume that they’re not #1 or #2 plastics, but they didn’t explain to us why exactly we couldn’t. Perhaps it was the marker?

I would try contacting your local recycling center, if no one here has an answer.

Mary Coughlin
      Participant

In September 2011, AIC’s Committee for Sustainable Conservation Practices (CSCP) wrote an article for the AIC newsletter titled “Plastics are Forever: Wraps, Tools, Films and Containers Used in Conservation”. In it there is a table on the Recyclability and Sustainability of Common Plastics in Conservation. It lists sealable polyethylene bags (high density polyethylene)as resin code 2. Though this type of plastic can sometimes be recycled, the table lists the recyclability of these bags as “doubtful”.

Here is a link to the article:
      http://www.conservation-wiki.com/w/?title=Plastics_are_Forever:_Wraps,_Tools,_Films_and_Containers_used_in_Conservation_Practice

Here is the table:
      http://www.conservation-wiki.com/w/index.php?title=Table_1:_The_recyclability_and_sustainability_of_common_plastics_used_in_conservation

I hope this helps a bit…

Mary Coughlin

Brandy T.

Great resource-thanks!

Wendi Murray
      Participant

Yes, thanks Mary! This is great!
      Wendi

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • The forum ‘C2C Community Archives – 2012 through 2014’ is closed to new topics and replies.