new lighting

Viewing 8 reply threads
  • Author

We are a quilt museum, looking to replace our over 20-year old lighting system in the galleries.  I would like to know anything about the use of LED lighting.  Our ceilings are 13’4″ and 12′.  I would also like the new lighting to have the potential for each fixture to be dimmed rather than by zone.  Any suggestions are GREATLY appreciated!

Judy Schwender
      Curator
      National Quilt Museum
      Paducah, KY
      (270) 442-8856
      http://www.quiltmuseum.org

Hi Judy,

I highly recommend reviewing the C2C presentation Rick Kerschner did on LED lighting – its great.  You can also check the Getty for Jim Druzik’s paper on Solid State Lighting – good information there.

Victoria, do you know how to locate the presentation you are referring to? I searched the Webinar archives but didn’t find anything.

Thanks!

Allison

Les Kacev

Hi Judy:

My name is Les and I have been working in solid state lighting for color critical and museum applications for many years. Email me at les@elkays.com and I can send you some research and tell you what to look for.

Hi Allison, It’s in the webinar archives but it’s from March 29,2012. Here’s a link http://www.connectingtocollections.org/recording-community-webinar-introduction-to-led-lighting/

luiza

Hi Judy,

My name is Luiza, I am ceramic conservator for 20 years trained in Canada now  living in Brazil.   I was in the same situation early these years.   There are many  info out these about such subject. I have to delivery such service for  the Supreme Court.  I wouI did many, many  researched.

As Victoria mentioned above.   Getty has the most up to date and completed  researcher.

If you email me I can send you a copy.  luiza.marilackz@gmail.com

Judy – My business partner, Paul Himmelstein, is a trained conservator who has been working with museums for many years consulting on environmental issues, including lighting. He is a member of the Illuminating Engineering Society (the professional organization of lighting designers) – Committee on Museums and Galleries. He is particularly interested in LED lighting, and has been working with museums and galleries on the changeover to this mode of lighting.  I think he would be of considerable help to you in choosing the appropriate lamps (bulbs) and/or fixtures for your galleries.  He can be contacted via email (aandh@mindspring.com) or at 212-666-4630.

Thank you to everyone who has responded to my inquiry about lighting.  As soon as I can clear a few time-sensitive tasks off my desk I will be digging into all this.

Best regards,

Judy Schwender

National Quilt Museum

Richard Kerschner
      Participant

LED fixtures are available in two formats. Dedicated LED fixtures that are built from the ground up with matched drivers, dimmers, etc., or retrofit LED bulbs that can replace Halogen bulbs in existing or new track fixtures. Dedicated fixtures are more expensive but usually of a higher quality than a system that uses retrofit bulb in old fixtures. There are also new fixtures specially designed to use LED retrofit bulbs with special vents to keep the LED cool, extending LED life and lessening color shifts.
      There is lots of information out there on LED’s in Museums, especially on LinkedIn. Join the LinkedIn Museum and Art Gallery Lighting Group. There are several long discussions on LED lighting with lots of good advice and details. See “Can Museums Measure Up” initiated by Daniel Gelman from July of 2011. Even though the discussion is 2 years old and LED technology is advancing quickly, the advice on what to consider in choosing LED’s for exhibit galleries still holds.

Viewing 8 reply threads
  • The forum ‘C2C Community Archives – 2012 through 2014’ is closed to new topics and replies.