Need Felt

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author

I have a steel ring that has been made to support a cast iron pot that weighs a few hundred pounds. I would like to put some felt squares on/in the ring to act as a buffer between the two different metals and am not finding thick felt except the stuff used in industrial applications like automotive stereo installs.

(1) Does anyone know if this felt is inert?

(2) Any suggestions for other places to get felt that’s at least 1/4 inch thick?

Thank you

Nikkie

In the UK we would be more likely to use Plastazote polythene foam to create a pad. It is blown with nitrogen to even the cut bubbles are inert and is available in different grades of stiffness, so you could choose one that’s right for this situation.  Polyester or polypropylene  felt are sometimes used and  can be very thick. Acrylic felt is also available, but I would be cautious about this, as I’m not sure what acrylates are in it and how it withstands pressure and possible changes in moisture.

Whatever you use, it would be good to have it pressure tested between two plates, ideally of steel and iron, to see how it behaves. Many felts are given coating (fireproofing etc) which could affect the objects.

You could ask Sunderland felt for help  http://www.sutherlandfelt.com/  They make felt up to 2 1/2 inches thick !

Hope this helps.

Susan Knoer

I’m not sure that felt will withstand the compression under an object that heavy, it may soon stretch itself out to paper thickness, since it has no structural strength.    Foams have the same problem.  If you just want to prevent contact of the metals, I would think a thick mylar would do the job; cut a circle to fit the pot and lay it on the base.

If you want more space between them, maybe roll a thick unbleached cotton (sailcloth, osnaburg, canvas,  etc) to the thickness you want and stitch it in shape as a pad (s).  It will have more cohesion, being woven, and you’ll know the fiber content.

Our institution cannot indorse vendors but I can pass on some product information.  Sutherland Felt Company (284-280-0450; http://www.sutherlandfelt.com) has a line of thick polyester felt (.019-2”) in various weights.  Recently we had a special project and this was the only vendor we could find for this product.  Recently we used their polyester 3/8” 42oz material to make custom pads between bones for a fully mounted mastodont skeleton for exhibition.   The thicker & denser the material the harder it is to cut.  We successfully cut the 3/8” 42oz. material slowly with good heavy scissors.  We did not Oddy test the material.  The bones of our mount have a protective consolidant layer and are in an open gallery (not a case).  Do not use wool felt in collections as it releases sulfur.

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • The forum ‘C2C Community Archives – 2012 through 2014’ is closed to new topics and replies.