Housing other Institution’s Collections

Viewing 14 reply threads
  • Author
      Chanin Voss Scanlon
      Participant

Good Morning All:

I have a question (or a few questions) about housing collections that do not belong to your institutions/repositories.

We are currently, and have been for some time, housing a collection that does not belong to us. With some prodding on my part both institutions have agreed that we need a formal written agreement on the ownership, care and maintenance of the collection. They have agreed that the collection will stay under our roof and that we will charge for space and services of the collection.

In that light, we have to come up with a written agreement for housing and reference services. So, my question(s) to the group are ~ Are any of you encountering the same situation and if so how are you handling the “storage” of another institutions collection? Specifically, I am looking for information on A) Fees charged; by the linear foot, flat fee; how much for reference services, flat fee, hourly, how much; B) contract language such as length of time, annual, monthly, automatic renewals, disaster recovery, and access to name a few.

If any of you have existing contracts or have experience with this type of arrangement, I would truly appreciate a copy of your agreements (blank ones of course) or your thoughts, experiences with this type of arrangement.

Thanks a million.

Chanin V. Scanlon
      Fort Worth Museum of Science and History
      cscanlon@fwmsh.org
      817-255-9305

Shannon Lindridge
      Participant

We have been housing two collections (A and B) in addition to our own for over 50 yrs. Owner A is an active institution and owner B is not. We do not have an active agreement and although the topic has come up several times with owner A, no one can agree so we continue in limbo. Without getting into all the details, this is what I have learned.

Get an agreement down and signed by both parties ASAP (before anything moves in) and have it annually renewable.
      Your right to get things covered like insurance, disaster, access and fees. But also think about space allocation-how much does each institution get. What if one institution brings in significantly more donations than the other, the size of the items brought in, etc.
      Also, think about 10, 25, 50 yrs. down the road.

At one time owner A worked under our roof and we have the classic “how did this item get in our collections” The paperwork isn’t always clear, and it is difficult enough with one institutions FIC items, let only having two institutions laying claim to FIC. I have a number of items which just sit uncataloged due to this situation. I can’t even start to deal with my states abandoned property laws. (Hopefully, with standards put in place and CMP’s we won’t leave FIC for future caretakers)

Also, institutional relationships can get complicated as yrs go by…you have the “old-times” and the “newbies” which don’t always see eye to eye.

If someone approached me today about caring for another institution’s collection semi-permanently, I would advise against it. Sorry to sounds so negative and I would be interested to hear how others have hammered out an agreement and what the agreement entails.

Becca DuBey

I agree with Shannon. I make out a Loan Agreement whcich would stipulate all of the items mentioned above and make it renewable annually. This way, even if people change, the Loan Agreement will not change. I would also mark each item that is “on Loan” and catalog it as a Loan. We use an “L” for a prefix to indicate an item loaned to us, and I would make the item and use a paper tag. If the current owner will not sign the Loan Agreement first, and renew annually, I would not accept the items. Then I set a date and mark it on my calendar for renewing the loan, with a reminder to do it.

Becca DuBey

I agree with Shannon. I make out a Loan Agreement whcich would stipulate all of the items mentioned above and make it renewable annually. This way, even if people change, the Loan Agreement will have documented the transfer. I would also mark each item that is “on Loan” and catalog it as a Loan. We use an “L” for a prefix to indicate an item loaned to us. I use a reversible mark directly on the artifact and afix a paper tag. If the current owner will not sign the Loan Agreement first, and renew annually, I would not accept the items. Then I set a date and mark it on my calendar for renewing the loan, with a reminder to do it. If not using Past Perfect to record loans, I would set up a file for incoming loans. Hope this helps.

Chanin Voss Scanlon
      Participant

Thanks for all of your thoughts, guys, I truly appreciate them. Unfortunately the collection has been under our roof for many years and was here before I came into this position so I do not have the luxury of not accepting the collection (although I am with you guys on that, I would certain not take the collection if I had that decision to make today…and I do not think you are overly harsh, Shannon, I think you are spot-on). I am actually very lucky that we have come to a decision on ownership and we will be working on a housing/storage agreement soon. Believe me, that is a big step forward for us as we have mostly been operating under a “gentleman’s agreement” to this point so I am thrilled. Now, getting them to sign it will be another story. 🙂

Still open for other thoughts, but until then thanks to all who responded.

Chanin

p.s. btw, Shannon your situation sounds quite similar to mine. Good luck to you, I know how frustrating it is.

Joy Banks
      Participant

Hi Chanin,
      I was in a similar situation when I was hired. I will stipulate that I’m in a library/archive setting, so it’s a bit different than a museum.

We had an association’s archives stored in our library for about 20 years with no formal agreement. A previous employee had brought it with him when he was hired those 20 years ago, but when he left, the collection remained. I’m sending you an email with the agreement that we worked up that includes details about our annual fee for storage, what that includes, what it doesn’t include, charges for research and services, and the escape clause for both organizations. If you have any other questions, let me know. We modeled our agreement after another local archive’s agreements with several organizations. What we decided won’t necessarily apply to your exact situation, but it may help you get started with drafting your proposal. I will also say, that we had legal council from both parties look at the proposal just to verify the agreement (though you will see it’s pretty basic).

BTW, if anyone else is following this post and is interested in seeing our agreement, I am more than happy to share. For confidentiality reasons, though, I’d rather not post it in a public forum.

~Joy

Joy M. Banks, MSLS
      Librarian
      Bok Tower Gardens
      Lake Wales, FL 33853

Sarah Uthoff

Joy ~
      I’d very much appreciate a copy of your agreement too. Please e-mail me a copy at info@trundlebedtales.com

Thanks,
      Sarah Uthoff

Kathie Gow
      Participant

Joy, I’d love to get a copy of your agreement also, as we have one similar loan/storage situation at our museum. Please email to: kagow@comcast.net. Thanks so much for offering.

best,
      –Kathie

Kathie Gow, Curator
      Hatfield Historical Museum

Hi Joy, I would also greatly appreciate a copy of your agreement! We’ve wanted something similar for quite a while as an addition to the simple donation/gift form that we use. My email address is nburford@library.tamu.edu.
      Thank you –
      Nancy
      Nancy Burford, Veterinary Collections Curator
      Medical Sciences Library, Texas A&M University.

Hi, Joy – this opens up some interesting possibilities for us, so I’d be grateful for a copy or your agreement. judith@digitalgamemuseum.org Thanks!

Joy, I too would find a copy of your agreement – We are in the process of refining and adding needed formal agreements and not having to entirely ‘reinvent the wheel’ would be of tremendous help!
      My email is mclauderdale.bhm@gmail.com.

Joy, I too would like a copy of your agreement – We are in the process of refining and adding needed formal agreements and not having to entirely ‘reinvent the wheel’ would be of tremendous help!
      My email is mclauderdale.bhm@gmail.com.

Ella Rayburn

Hi Joy — I’ll join in asking for a copy. I’ve been avoiding the issue; your description fits our situation, only the reverse — we are the interloper. My email is esr934@verizon.net
      Thank you, Ella

Hi Joy,
      I would also like a copy of your agreement. I am just catching up on some of my older e-mails and saw this discussion. We currently have an agreement for new collections, but do not have one I feel good about for older collections.
      We are in the process of merging 2 branches into 1 new building and I would like to take care of some of these types of items while we are closed and moving.
      I appreciate your willingness to share.
      Thank You,
      Shirley brim-Jones
      Library Assistant II/Genealogist
      Madison-Mayodan Public Library

Hi Joy, (Joy Banks)
      I would also like a copy of your agreement. I am just catching up on some of my older e-mails and saw this discussion. We currently have an agreement for new collections, but do not have one I feel good about for older collections.
      We are in the process of merging 2 branches into 1 new building and I would like to take care of some of these types of items while we are closed and moving.
      I appreciate your willingness to share.
      Thank You,
      Shirley brim-Jones
      Library Assistant II/Genealogist
      Madison-Mayodan Public Library

Viewing 14 reply threads
  • The forum ‘C2C Community Archives – 2012 through 2014’ is closed to new topics and replies.