Feedback on PEMdata and Climate Notebook

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author
      Jennifer

Hi there-

My collections department is looking into programs that will consolidate and analyze our environmental data better than what we have going on right now. We currently use excel to graph our data which gives us visuals but no comparative data in one graph or visual. I’ve spoken with several people about PEMdata which is web-based and free as well as Climate Notebook which is a downloadable program. If any of you use these programs I would love to hear some feedback or comments on their usefulness.

Elsa Huxley

This is a great question, thanks Jennifer! Does anyone out there have experience with any of these programs?

If there isn’t a lot of experience with them out there, is this something that the community would be interested in learning about in a live chat webinar here?

This would be a great topic for a webinar.

Rachael Arenstein
      Participant

The PEM2 and its associated software programs are terrific tools for general environmental monitoring. It is always nice to hear from colleagues that they are happy with a particular product and I can attest to the PEM and PEM2’s wide use in museums and cultural institutions. There are lots of dataloggers out there that whose hardware will do the job. What really sets the PEM2 apart is the software. IPI has focused on creating tools that ideally reduce the time you take in collecting data so that you can spend more time with their “preservation metrics” which should help you understand your environment and then use the data to make appropriate modifications.

The Climate Notebook software was IPI’s first software tool developed for the original PEM logger. While you can use it for the PEM2, they created the pemdata.com website as the next generation tool and so I wouldn’t necessarily invest in the original disk. While the pemdata site is currently free, they have been anticipating that some time in 2012 they will release their newest software (a sort of e-Climate Notebook) which will also be web-based but will have a subscription model. The pricing will depend on the number of data sets and the type of analytical tools i.e. free for smaller institutions but costing something for power users. They have been talking about this for some time and it hasn’t actually happened yet, but I would encourage you to contact IPI directly to ask about what the future software options will be.

I recently finished an update of the National Park Service Conserve-O-Gram that I wrote about 10 years ago on Choosing a Datalogger for Museum Monitoring (#3/3 http://www.nps.gov/museum/publications/conserveogram/03-03.pdf). While the update is being finalized I have slowly been putting the draft content up on the AIC wiki site http://www.conservation-wiki.com/index.php?title=Dataloggers. I want to emphasize that the PEM2 is an excellent logger but it is important to assess what you are trying to do in your institution and then match those criteria with the right product. Hopefully the text gives an idea of what to consider and how to evaluate some of the common loggers.

You can test drive the pemdata website with test data and view the various web clips and other information. I’d encourage you to explore the site.

Robert Ryals

Hi Jennifer,

I absolutely love both the PEMdata and the Climate Notebook software. I use them extensively for environmental monitoring here in South Carolina. I would highly recommend their use. If you would like any additional information regarding how we are using these tools to create monthly, quarterly, annual, and cumulative year-to-date reports, then please feel free to e-mail me at ryalsr@winthrop.edu.

Best regards,
      Robert Ryals

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • The forum ‘C2C Community Archives – 2012 through 2014’ is closed to new topics and replies.