Early Auto Identification Resource

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • Author
      colleen holt

We have received a wonderful collection full of early autos and I can find no way to identify them. Does anyone have a recource or two that I can add to our resource library? I have tried everything I can think of and unless you know the MAKE of a car I am finding it impossible to ID. Most photos do not show make/model info, mostly side shots.
      Thanks, Colleen
      Collections Manager
      Jerome (AZ) Hist Soc

Colleen, you find find Hemmings Motor News an excellent (cost-free) source in helping you determine the make & model of car photographs your library has acquired.  Their link is:  http://www.hemmings.com/

Best of luck on your identification efforts.  

Colleen, you may find Hemmings Motor News an excellent (cost-free) source in helping you determine the make & model of car photographs your library has acquired.  Their link is:  http://www.hemmings.com/

Best of luck on your identification efforts.  

Lyn Triplett

There are several “Classic Car Clubs” in our area – they frequently get together at a drive-in restaurant or parking lot. Go to a showing, or to a meeting – with your pictures – I am sure there are some true experts in the club(s).  Also, there are numerous Auto museums tucked away off the beaten paths – I am sure that those collectors have a wealth of knowledge.  Just Google “classic car museums.”  Some of those collectors are steeped in the history of the automobile. 

Colleen – The process of identifying these vehicles with only side shots can be extremely difficult. From the side shot often the only clues that you will have are the hub caps or certain distinguished features particular to specific marques. A good resources for early auto information is the Standard Catalog of American Cars 1805-1942. If you have more questions please feel free to contact me DMoore@WRHS.org.

Derek E. Moore – Crawford Curator of Transportation History

Western Reserve Historical Society, Cleveland, Ohio

colleen holt

Thank you all for the wonderful information. Could have saved myself hours of searching if I had asked all you experts first. With appreciation, Colleen

What would you estimate the era to be of the vehicles you are trying to identify? Prior to the 1930’s there were hundreds of independent auto manufacturers in the US alone. After that the big-3 either acquired or put most of those out of business by their economies of scale in production. If you are talking about very early cars, often referred to as “brass-era”, “veterans” or “horseless carriages”, you would probably best start by contacting the Horseless Carriage Club of America http://www.hcca.org/

They will be able to far more quickly help you identify obscure makes and models than anyone else as this is their specialty, or at least help lead you to automotive archives that specialize in that area.

D. Jordan Berson

colleen holt

Thanks, Jordan. Most of the autos are pre-1920’s so the site should help a lot. I have searched a million “veteran” sites already. Colleen

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • The forum ‘C2C Community Archives – 2012 through 2014’ is closed to new topics and replies.