Disaster Recovery

Viewing 0 reply threads
  • Author
      Anonymous
      Inactive

I am the registrar at the Corpus Christi Museum of Science and History, a department of the city of Corpus Christi. Recently, my colleagues,–both in the museum and city library and myself have been on a journey toward better planning for potential disaster. We’re attempting to streamline and make our emergency preparedness and recovery plan as transparent and structured as possible for our colleagues, outside of our departments, who… may or may not take our line of work as serious as possibly other departments. Alas, we mean business and we want to ensure the cultural heritage is protected.

We’re seeking literature and as much as information as possible. That being said, we have a pretty thorough plan of action in the event a disaster, especially of water or wind relation, were to occur. That being said, there are so many things we feel unprepared for, and we just don’t know where to start to make sure we’re covered. What’s most daunting to us is whether we need to have contracts already established with transportation affiliates, storage facilities, and conservation groups before the event.

We find all of this a little unnerving i.e. What if we’ve established these contracts, but after the storm we aren’t the first to contact our groups of choice and another facility, experiencing a similar fate to us, snatches up our preferred or contracted groups? Or our preferred contacts are backed up with unrelated work? These scenarios just seem so impossible and unpredictable to plan for. We know it’s not as though these groups are sitting around waiting on-call for some kind of bad luck to happen to us.

Does anyone have advice on how to be confident and establish a secure relationship in advance without knowing what could or couldn’t happen, without having to indemnify ourselves?

TIA!

Viewing 0 reply threads
  • The forum ‘C2C Community Archives – 2012 through 2014’ is closed to new topics and replies.