decision-making criteria re: loaning core/primary artifacts

Welcome to Connecting to Collections Care Forums Group Forums C2C Community Archives – 2012 through 2014 decision-making criteria re: loaning core/primary artifacts

Viewing 0 reply threads
  • Author
      Jen Hughes
      Participant

Hello everyone-

I am writing a collection management policy for my museum, and need to deal with requests for outgoing loans at the same time. The requester has asked to loan items that I have determined are core/primary materials. I realize there are general considerations such as the preservation condition of items to be loaned and whether the loan institution can provide proper preservation environment, insurance, etc. – but I am wondering about considerations re: what the absence of the core/primary objects will do to the mission of the museum. The Walters Art Museum Outgoing Loan Policy (http://thewalters.org/about/policy/outgoing-loan-policy.pdf) includes criteria like that, and I think that in the case of core items, it would be a matter of whether I have a similar or duplicate object, whether it is ranked in the second tier of the core group, etc. Does anyone have criteria used to make decisions re: what items can be loaned, that they would be willing to share?

I have read Simmons and Buck, but their publications deal with proper procedure, not decision-making at a local level (understandably).

I know this will  be a great question for tomorrow’s chat re: CMP’s, hope to see many of you there! Thank you for your help with this.

Viewing 0 reply threads
  • The forum ‘C2C Community Archives – 2012 through 2014’ is closed to new topics and replies.