Deaccessioning

Viewing 0 reply threads
  • Author

Hello everyone,

I am currently working with a small Maritime Historical Society undergoing a deaccessioning project to remove items that do not fit the mission of the museum. Obviously we would like to transfer as many of these as possible to institutions that can use them and will be able to care for them!

Does anyone have suggestions for how to locate institutions that may want particular types of items? My process so far has been to call/email individual institutions based on their collections scope information online, but I’m not getting very many responses, and I’m really looking for a more efficient way to find interested museums. I’ve read that AAM used to have something called the Collections Exchange Center on their website, but it seems it has since been discontinued and I’m struggling to find a good alternative.

I’ve tried to contact the Council of American Maritime Museums to see if I could post some kind of notices on their website, but to no avail. I’ve also considered posting descriptions of the items we’d like to deaccession on a forum-type discussion board somewhere, but I am somewhat hesitant about this approach. If anyone has any suggestions, they would be greatly appreciated! How have you found institutions for the transfer of your deaccessions?

Viewing 0 reply threads
  • The forum ‘C2C Community Archives – 2012 through 2014’ is closed to new topics and replies.