Collective Access and OSS product

Viewing 10 reply threads
  • Author
      Shari Bowers

Is anyone out there using Collective Access for their collections? If you are using it what problems, if any, have you encountered?

Ronald Heroux
      Participant

Thanks for making me aware of this alternative cataloging software. If it weren’t for the multiple additional software programs needed to run ‘Providence’ I would surely give it a try. At present I am using ‘Museum Archive’ for our small historical society (with little money to spend).
      http://www.musarch.com/

Nicole Roush
      Participant

I would contact the Collections Management Department at the National September 11th Memorial and Museum as they use Collective Access.
      Good Luck!

Shari Bowers

Thank you for the reply. I will update as soon as I have made some progress with this software.

Mark Gardner

Last summer Rhode Island Historical Society was planning on incorporating Collective Access into part of their cataloging system. I haven’t really talked to anyone there about how that process is going, but as a fan of open access I am interested in seeing how that turns out for them. When I heard about it I looked at it as a possible option for the WRICHS Archive/Paine House Museum, but there is so much putting it all together that, like Ron, it isn’t feasible for us right now. Setting it up could be a good project for graduate interns, but for the time being we’re continuing with Excel spreadsheets and Musarch, which is all free/very low cost.

Shari Bowers

Hi Mark,
      There does seems to be some work involved unlike other software products. I will look at the Rhode Island Historical Society website and see what they are doing.
      Shari

Molly

Hi Shari,

We are just about finished setting up Collective Access at the Mattress Factory Museum. I’m thrilled about the system, as it will serve the needs of our object collections as well as our archival collections (not to mention digital assets). We’ve worked with the software developers, Whirl-i-Gig to help with the setup and they’ve been very accommodating to our non-profit needs. I highly recommend both.

Molly

Beth Heller
      Participant

Until I left recently to pursue my conservation business full time, I was director of the American Alpine Club Library. The current digitization archivist, Elizabeth Surles, has been developing a custom install of Collective Access there for the past year. You can take a look at explore.americanalpineclub.org and contact her for more information.

Shari Bowers

Hi Molly and Beth. Thank you for your response. We may need some additional advice as we work through our own process. I appreciate any additional thoughts.

Molly

I’ll be happy to help in any way I can, Shari! Here are a couple additional resources that might be helpful.
      Collective Access wiki: http://docs.collectiveaccess.org/wiki/Main_Page
      Collective Access User Forum: http://www.collectiveaccess.org/forum/

Shari Bowers

Hi Molly,
      Thank you for the reply. The problem we are having is figuring out how to configure search terms and some type of index similar to Greenstone. If you have a moment take a look at my attachment with a few print screens from Greenstone. In Greenstone it is so simply to configure and easy to find. We are not having the same luck with Collective Access.

Viewing 10 reply threads
  • The forum ‘C2C Community Archives – 2012 through 2014’ is closed to new topics and replies.