Collection Storage floors

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • Author
      Melody Marshall
      Participant

I’m checking to see what other organizations have used to seal their collection storage area cement floors? We have a building that was the former museum but is now going to be used for majority of our collection storage,objects and photos. It has carpet and it was recommended to tear that out and use epoxy paint finish to seal the floor. But the building also houses the county library and shares the duct work of heating and cooling, so we cannot use the epoxy paint because of harm to that area of the building. Anyone with suggestions of what we can use instead to paint/seal the floor with? Also, there is yeas and no concerning tearing out the carpet. I say yes. The other recommendation for sealing the floor would be a latex paint??? Thanks for any suggestions.
      Melody Marshall

even A two-part epoxy is pretty standard, but if you think even that will off-gas too much, you can use the stiffest vinyl tile you can find (so there’s not much plasticizer) with an aqueous adhesive.

Richard Kerschner
      Participant

Although some epoxy paints have an offensive order, they will only off-gas while setting and not for more than 24 hours. The gasses should be exhausted from a properly ventilated building relatively quickly. It could be applied when people are not in the building or supply ducts could be temporarily covered and taped even if people are out of the building. It is not very practical to eliminate a good floor solution for a day or two inconvenience. Be sure to contract with an experienced application firm. Check references.

Melody Marshall
      Participant

Barbara and Richard,
      Thank you for your posts, I appreciate your information and input. I have a few more questions: what is meant by a two-part epoxy paint? Should there be a month allowed for “curing” time? OR three months? Do you have any suggestions of where to contact some reputable, experienced companies for applying epoxy paint?

And do you know if cold temperatures outside has bearing on the applying and curing of epoxy paint inside a building? Our museum is located north central South Dakota. Thanks.

Melody Marshall

Richard Kerschner
      Participant

All epoxy paints consist of a resin and an hardener. They are mixed together in proper ratios so that there is just enough hardener to react with the resin. In theory, none of either part is left over, hence no long-term off-gassing. There will be a curing time for the paint/adhesive to reach maximum strength. Different epoxies have different cure times. I doubt it will be longer than a week or two, but the applicator will be able to advise on cure time. It should be solid to the touch in 24 hours at the most.
      You can begin to look for applicators on the internet. Just search for Epoxy Applicator South Dakota. A 3M distributor comes up with an office in South Dakota. Or go to manufacturers’ home pages such as Rustoleum, Sherman Williams, or Krylon and search for distributors in your area. Check references for coatings and applicators in your area.
      The temperature of the inside floor to be coated is important. The only way the outside temperature will have any affect is if it makes the inside floor cold. Most epoxies do need to have a specific temperature to cure properly. If the floor is too cold, it may take a long time to cure or not cure at all and may not be as strong as necessary. For all these reasons, hire an experienced applicator who knows what they are doing and use a good quality paint that they recommend. I do not advise applying an epoxy paint yourself if you do not have previous experience. Protective equipment may be required during application, possibly even a self-contained breathing apparatus.
      If the carpet is in good condition, why not leave it?

Melody Marshall
      Participant

Thanks for the information, I will check out your suggestions.

We had assessment done last summer by two collection care conservators. They recommended moving most of our collections into the former museum building because of the temperature, no windows and away from our previous collection storage where Paleo department dust, kitchen facilities and exhibit storage and high traffic,no security were the deciding factors. But the main room in the new “storage area” has carpet and they recommended that we remove it for moisture, dust and dirt and insect control. Thanks again.

Wings of Eagles Discovery Center moved into a building last spring that had been an indoor polo field but with a new concrete floor. The epoxy paint is a three part – resin, catalist and color. It took a week to cure to walk on, about a month before we could put anything hard, as in metal, on it without leaving an impression.

Wings of Eagles Discovery Center moved into a building last spring that had been an indoor polo field but with a new concrete floor. The epoxy paint is a three part – resin, catalist and color. It took a week to cure to walk on, about a month before we could put anything hard, as in metal, on it without leaving an impression.

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • The forum ‘C2C Community Archives – 2012 through 2014’ is closed to new topics and replies.