collection management policy re: duplicates of “rare” books

Welcome to Connecting to Collections Care Forums Group Forums C2C Community Archives – 2012 through 2014 collection management policy re: duplicates of “rare” books

Viewing 0 reply threads
  • Author
      Jen Hughes
      Participant

Are there any collections managers/archivists here that also manage a related library collection? I am sorting out books that were jumbled into my archive collection into a general reference collection (non-circulating) and a rare books collection  I have never established a collections management policy for a library before, and I especially wonder about retaining more than (2) copies of a rare book. Also, the books I am referring to were published in 1927 and 1943, and I have noticed that these dates aren’t often criteria for “rare” in the collections management policies I have reviewed. I used WorldCat to determine that there are 127 holdings of one book, 27, for another, and 10 for the last. I think that 127 copies belies any definition of “rare”, but I wonder about the other 2 – maybe I should keep more than (2) copies? I already have the books, so it is not a question of acquiring more, it’s about whether or not I should deacession/withdraw the extra copies. I have already selected based on marginalia/historical value and and condition, etc.

Thank you for your help with this!

Viewing 0 reply threads
  • The forum ‘C2C Community Archives – 2012 through 2014’ is closed to new topics and replies.