buffered vs unbuffered housing for glass plate negatives and lantern slides

Welcome to Connecting to Collections Care Forums Group Forums C2C Community Archives – 2012 through 2014 buffered vs unbuffered housing for glass plate negatives and lantern slides

Viewing 0 reply threads
  • Author
      Jen Hughes
      Participant

I posted a while ago about buffered vs unbuffered for housing photograph prints (http://www.connectingtocollections.org/groups/c2c-disccussions/forum/topic/confused-by-contradicting-info-re-color-photo-storage/). I was confused about why NARA and NEDCC differed from National Park Service, Gaylord, etc re: which could be in contact with photographs. I learned from this list that Gaylord recommended non-buffered because the long-term contact of alkalines with photographic chemicals has not been determined yet.

So….I was wondering if I could enclose glass lantern slides and glass plate negatives in buffered, acid-free envelopes that I made myself (see attached pics). The glass lantern slides don’t seem to come into direct contact with the paper because of their cardboard holders, so I don’t see the potential for scratched glass – but I will insert acid-free tissue around the glass plate negatives, because they lack a bulky frame that separates them from from the scratchy paper. I intend on buying the acid-free boxes that Gaylord and University Products makes to house these slides and negatives.

What do you all think? Should I just buy the unbuffered kit that these suppliers offer, or is my homemade solution viable?

Thank you!

Viewing 0 reply threads
  • The forum ‘C2C Community Archives – 2012 through 2014’ is closed to new topics and replies.