Analog to Digital Converters

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author

Can anyone recommend good home-grown hardware and methods for converting audio cassette and video cassette tapes to digital files?

Clifton Patrick
      Participant

Before we got an “ION Tape Express Cassette Conversion System” which seems work just fine, (I only used it once so far to make sure it worked.) I converted a few tapes by playing them on our cassette recorder/player in a foam lined cardboard box with a old microphone, that I had laying about, plugged into my iMac’s audio input jack and recording with Quicktime (this software came with the iMac). As long as nothing loud happened during the recording, it work surprisingly well! The big advantage for the “ION Tape Express Cassette Conversion System” is that it is immune to ambient noise.

Kaia Landon
      Participant

For audio cassettes, all you really need is a tape deck with a line-out jack (and cord), which you plug into the computer’s line-in, and we record with Audacity (free and open source).

For video, you can get a cheap (<$15) cord/device on eBay that lets you do basically the same thing from a vcr. (It gives you a USB to plug into the computer.) I can’t remember the name of the device we purchased, but if you search AV to USB you should find some options. Of course, if you don’t have a lot of VHS, it may be cheaper (especially when you factor in the time) to just have them done from any of the numerous companies that handle that. Alternately, you can connect VCRs to some camcorders, and then connect to the computer and do them that way.

Oh course all of this has to happen in real time, so it can take a long time. I like to do them on days when not all my staff are in the office, and use a computer that’s otherwise not in use.

Do any of you recommend a company that could convert a 35mm film to a DVD?

Can any of you recommend a company that could convert a 35mm film to a DVD?

Sean

Hi Cheryl – I’m co-owner of a media conversion business in the SF Bay Area named Digital Roots Studio and we could help you with your 35mm transfer needs. Feel free to take a look at our site and give me an e-mail if you have any questions.

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • The forum ‘C2C Community Archives – 2012 through 2014’ is closed to new topics and replies.