AASLH webinar vs. Modern Archives Institute

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author
      Charlene Martin
      Participant

I was wondering if Janice Klein or some other members here could tell me how AASLH’s “The Basics of Archives” webinar series measures up to the Modern Archives Institute program (I don’t know if this is the first time AASLH is offering an archives program). General reviews from the Modern Archives program are welcome!

Thank you 🙂

Janice Klein

Hi Charlene,

The AASLH Basics of Archives course (which is offered twice a year) is more for those of us who need to organize and run an archives but also have other responsibilities (like small museum directors or curators).    The Modern Archives Institute is more intensive and aims at people who work with archival materials on a regular basis.    Our state archivist actually offers a version of the AASLH course as a day-long version as Archives 101 for Museums.

Charlene Martin
      Participant

Thank you, Janice. I am actually a recently-graduated librarian/archivist who is the curator of a museum collection as well as a related subject-based archival collection, in addition to some smaller record group collections. It’s hard to feel that what is expected of me completely suits the goals of the Modern Archives Institute program, nor the AASLH webinar. I must start somewhere, so I think it will be with AASLH webinar 🙂

Janice Klein

You might find the AASLH webinar a re-run of things you learned in graduate school, but I agree you the MAI program is probably more than you need.    The basic “issue” is that museum collections and archival collections are organized in very different ways with different ways of cataloguing.     Unfortunately these two types of collections are often accessioned in the same system, causing confusion about how then to catalogue and organize.

One of those “big” projects somewhere way out on a back-burner of my infinitive stove (hope that metaphor isn’t too labored) is a session, workshop, webinar, that helps those of us who have to deal with both understand that.    My suggestion would be that you not be afraid to organize the archival materials as archives and the museum collections as museums collections.    (From the limited amount to say, you might actually find a basic museum collections course more useful?)

Anyone else?

Sharon F. Corey
      Participant

Charlene, your situation sounds somewhat familiar. I participated in the AASLH “The Basics of Archives” a couple of years ago. It was a very thorough webinar series and I learned a lot. I would also like to participate in the National Archives “Modern Archives Institute” but, that one is onsite and that poses a problem for me. I prefer “hands on” learning and participated in the 2009 Archives Insitute at the SC Archives and History Center. I learned so much in this workshop especially in Disaster Preparedness and Response. Due to the economy and tight budgets, I do not believe this Institute has been offered since and Heather is now employed in Asheville, NC. Unfortunately, I do not have the option of a formal education in Museum & Librarianship therefore I participate in most of the webinars offered through AASLH, NEDCC, and MuseumWise. I begin the Preservation 101: Preservation Basics through NEDCC in September. When the AASLH Small Museum Pro! resumes I will participate that program. I would also like to participate in the Jekyll Island Management Insititute in 2014 or 2015.

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • The forum ‘C2C Community Archives – 2012 through 2014’ is closed to new topics and replies.