1980’s-present office papers (are they all only 1% lignin?)

Welcome to Connecting to Collections Care Forums Group Forums C2C Community Archives – 2012 through 2014 1980’s-present office papers (are they all only 1% lignin?)

Viewing 0 reply threads
  • Author
      Jen Hughes
      Participant

Are all basic office papers produced after the 1980’s brittle book issue was dealt with considered permanent paper, having a 2% minimum alkaline reserve and less than 1% lignin? I am specifically dealing with paper used to make photocopies, print/type on – not newspapers, lined filler/notebook paper, or paper used in books.
      My volunteers have been encapsulating ALL paper in L-sleeve polypropylene (open at the top for air flow). I am wondering if I simply house these papers in acid-free folders and boxes, and reserve the polypropylene for encapsulating pre-1980’s materials only?
      Also, much of the collection was housed in plastic commercial binders- can the papers continue to reside in these binders once housed in acid-free boxes, or is the plastic off-gassing?

Viewing 0 reply threads
  • The forum ‘C2C Community Archives – 2012 through 2014’ is closed to new topics and replies.