Reply To: Medical Whatchamacallit?


My colleague says depending on size it could be a pneumothorax or  venous cannula. The two parts are put together and the sharp tip used to puncture the vein or chest wall. The inner needle is removed, leaving the outer tube in place. A rubber tube can then be inserted into the vein or other work done. The side opening may be to allow it to be used in an area where the end becomes blocked, e.g. withdrawing air or fluid from a chest cavity.

The larger item could be a curette. Again, size will help determine its use. Wellcome Collection has an amazing amount of medical tools from all periods.

All the best