Reply To: Record-Keeping of Transferred/Donated Items

Chanin Voss Scanlon
Participant

Thanks, Ronald and Mary for your responses.

I do have the necessary forms so it is not necessarily a form question (my apologies, the question was worded a bit muddy), it is more of a question of recordkeeping once the paperwork was complete. For example, we have a fairly large collection overall, and some donations can be large as well. In most cases our collection is cataloged on the item level. So, once we deaccession and then either transfer custody or remove an item from the collection it is easy to make those changes in the database, but then we have the paperwork associated with that deaccession as well and I am trying to figure out if others have separate files where they store their deaccession paperwork and do they, as Ronald mentioned, file the deaccession paperwork separately (from the accession record) and chronologically, by accession number, or do they merely file that information back with the accession records themselves which will then create a rather large accession file if we are dealing with one accession that has many many items. We could also file deaccession paperwork separately by their object id…so I just wanted to know if anyone had a tried-and-true system for organizing their deaccession paperwork.

Chanin