Do you find that your storage rooms are sort of a nightmare – not accessible, perhaps overcrowded, hard to clean, not enough space and nowhere to expand? Is your storage a risk to your collections and limiting how you use them for public programming and community engagement? This course will introduce you to and guide you through the RE-ORG Method, a step-by-step approach to storage organization that will help you to reorganize your current storage rooms, focusing on the creative, yet safe, use of existing resources. This method was originally devised by ICCROM and UNESCO for smaller institutions and has been used all over the world in 144 institutions and over 30 countries. Take this opportunity to participate in this program with its developers and with the developers of STASHc (Storage Techniques for Art Science & History Collections) – learn to create an action plan and carry it out under their guidance and with input from other members of the course. See how the RE-ORG Method is applied in practice to the Custom House of the New London Maritime Society, in Connecticut, United States (AIC Angels Project 2019).
- Course Coordinator: Simon Lambert, Senior Advisor, Collection Preservation, Canadian Conservation Institute
- Co-coordinator: Rachael Perkins Arenstein, A.M. Art Conservation, LLC
- Co-coordinator: Lisa Goldberg, Goldberg Preservation Services, LLC
This course was originally presented as a 6-webinar live course
between March 20, 2019 and June 5, 2019.
The webinars were recorded and are now available on-demand,
along with the original course handouts, quizzes and assignments.
Course assignments are for self-study purposes only and will not be reviewed by instructors.
The Credly badge is no longer available for this course.
The course will consist of six webinar sessions offered over four months, which will cover:
- Webinar 1: Introduction to RE-ORG Fundamentals
- Webinar 2: The RE-ORG Condition Report and Maximizing Storage Space
- Webinar 3: Integrating Considerations for Value and Risk into RE-ORG Decision Making
- Webinar 4: Developing Creative Storage Solutions
- Webinar 5: Planning a RE-ORG Project
- Webinar 6: Implementing a RE-ORG Project: AIC Angels Project 2019