Connecting to Collections Care Online Community

Video CMS?

Tagged: 

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author
      Tasha Seren
      Participant

Does anyone have a recommendation for open source or off the shelf video cataloging software..with easy to navigate search features, thumbnail integration and video playback, while also listing detailed metadata?

Thank you!
      Best regards,
      -Tasha Seren

Anisha Gupta
      Participant

Hi Tasha,

Can you tell me a little bit more about what you mean when you say video cataloging software? Is this a video assessment tool or more of a database to organize and view the videos?

Tasha Seren
      Participant

Hi Anisha,
      We are looking for a searchable database to organize and view video files in our collection.

Thank you!

Best,
      -Tasha

Anisha Gupta
      Participant

Tasha,

It sounds like you’re looking for a digital asset management system or digital repository – a storage system for files so that they can be searched and viewed. To start, there’s some information on collection management systems for digital files on the Matters in Media Art website (www.mattersinmediaart.org) under the Digital Preservation tab. The Matters in Media Art website in general is a great resource for learning about caring for digital collections. They’re going to be adding a forum soon so that specific questions can be addressed quickly by other users.

I have also sent your query out to some other folks so I’ll let update the forum once I hear back!

Tasha Seren
      Participant

Hi Anisha,
      Thank you for this. I will be looking into the resources on this site. To be more specific, here is the criteria that we are hoping to find in a content management system:

Ideally it would have the following capabilities:

Mac Platform
      Creates a referenced database
      Full thumbnail and playback
      Allows for customized album creation
      Hot folder/watch folder for easy ingestion
      Descriptive and administrative metadata fields
      Faceted search function, some web 2.0 sharing capabilities (mostly e-mail)
      Editing capabilities
      The ability to work across a server

Thank you!

-Tasha

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • The forum ‘Connecting to Collections Care Forum Archives – 2015 through 2018’ is closed to new topics and replies.