Connecting to Collections Care Online Community

Tracking Exhibit Props/Museum Equipment In A House Museum

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
      Kaitlyn Donaldson
      Participant

I have updated our Collections Management Policy to distinguish between object donations that are in our permanent collection and objects in a teaching/museum equipment category and now I am working on how to track them all differently. We put a T in front of the accession number for objects in our teaching collection (T2016.___) and the teaching collection items are tracked in Past Perfect. Our house museum is set up as a 1920s home and there are props like towels, vases, etc that are neither in our teaching nor permanent collection. These prop items are things we expect to remove if/when a historic donation of importance comes in that could replace them. What would you suggest I do to track these items so that the person after me does not confuse them with permanent or teaching items? I was thinking of assigning a prop number – Prop 1, Prop 2, etc and tracking them in Past Perfect. Thanks in advance for your help!

Sharon McCullar
      Participant

Props are always an issue. If you track them then they have to be spot-checked just like actual artifacts or teaching collection objects. I have found that if the item is truly a prop that will be replaced with a better example as soon as it comes along that a generic mark of “prop” is OK, until you get someone in programs moving things around and suddenly the prop one program person is expecting to see in a room is in another and there is no tracking. This causes a list of “missing” objects to be generated but no real way to account for their actual location.
      Your Prop 1, Prop 2 concept sounds like a good compromise, maybe a simple Access database could suffice for tracking these expendable items. Our all interactive living history park program staff use a similar system and just keep adding numbers. As Collections Curator I have no responsibility for these Prop items and so no accountability when they get lost or broken. Good compromise for us.

Kaitlyn Donaldson
      Participant

Thank you!

Evelyn
      Participant

We use KLREPRO on our modern “props” what you call a teaching collection we call a working collection which are artefacts that can be physically “used” for whatever reason. We assign WC and an accession number on them. For props we don’t use a number as they are a headache to keep track of.

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • The forum ‘Connecting to Collections Care Forum Archives – 2015 through 2018’ is closed to new topics and replies.