Connecting to Collections Care Online Community

Scanning & Printing

Tagged: ,

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author
      Tasha Seren
      Participant

Dear Colleagues,

I am currently working with an active photo archive (of a living photographer) and am seeking advice on how we can optimize our in-house scanning (from 35mm negatives) and make high quality in-house prints. We have been scanning from our negatives at 600 dpi, tiff format in RGB and then editing in Photoshop to create black and white prints. We currently print on an ink jet roll printer.

Does anyone have recommendations for equipment, software, file specifications and paper selection?

Can you recommend any source or reference material on scanning & printing?

Any advice that you are able to provide would be greatly appreciated!

Kind regards,
      -Tasha Seren
      Consulting Archivist and Collections Manager, Private Art Collections, New York & Seattle
      tashaseren@mac.com

Erin Kraus
      Participant

Hi Tasha,
      That sounds like an interesting project! I personally don’t have any experience with this, but let me contact some experts and I’ll get more information to you. In the meantime you could check out this website:

http://www.wilhelm-research.com/index.html

There is a lot of information, but if you did a Ctrl+F search of the site for keywords you might find something relevant quickly.

Tasha Seren
      Participant

Thank you Erin! I appreciate your advice and thank you for the link. This is helpful.
      FYI – I also posed the question on the SAA Lone Arrangers list-serve and received some helpful advice from another photo archivist. In case anyone else is facing similar issues, she provided me with the following links for equipment buying and scanning specs:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/explora/photography/buying-guide/film-scanners

http://howtoscan.ca/negative-scanning/negative-scan-best-resolution.html

Overall, she recommended a flatbed scanner that deals with multiple formats (reflective and transparent) and Silverfast scanning software. Also, for file specifications: aim for 3600 dpi for 35 mm film, but at least 2400 dpi (which will generate an 8×10″ image at 300 dpi). Also save all master files as tiffs in two versions (original and edited).

Regarding paper, a graphic designer and producer recommended the following: “In terms of a paper that is similar to the feel of darkroom fiber prints, I like the Harman by Hahnemule Baryta Rag. There are warm and cool tone variants. It’s a great paper, but temperamental. Another good paper is Canson Baryta Photographique, or Canson Platine. I also like Innova Warmtone Cotton Gloss.” I have not yet investigated if these are all acid free or pass the PAT test, but thought I would pass the info. along in case it is helpful to someone else.

Thanks again for the advice!

Best regards,
      -Tasha

Tasha Seren, Consulting Archivist & Collections Manager, New York & Seattle

Erin Kraus
      Participant

Hi Tasha,

You might also try contacting the Image Permanence Institute.

https://www.imagepermanenceinstitute.org/

Susan-1

Tasha,

I note that Lyrasis is offering a series of online classes on various aspects of digitization for smaller institutions. These might be helpful:
      Digitization for Small Institutions. You can find their entire list of offerings in their Events Calendar.

Susan

Tasha Seren
      Participant

Thank you Susan!
      I also found a workshop through the Photographic Center Northwest on Digital Asset Management and Digital Printing that are offered next month.

Thank you!

Best regards,
      -Tasha

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • The forum ‘Connecting to Collections Care Forum Archives – 2015 through 2018’ is closed to new topics and replies.