Connecting to Collections Care Online Community

Packing Objects: Clock

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
      Berlin
      Participant

Hello collective wisdom.

I am working with a time-recording clock circa 1929 (punch-card time recording clock with a large pendulum). I need to pack this for storage and I am looking for any feedback from others who may have some experience or thoughts on best methods for packing and storing clocks.

I am considering the following but would like feedback and thoughts.

1) Remove pendulum if safely possible. If not possible, wrap in layers of bubble – OR – cut foam to size to stabilize the pendulum in situ?

2) Use stability/protective corners before placing in the box?

3) Store in size-designed box.

Thanks in advance for any guidance. Image attached.

Attachments:
      You must be logged in to view attached files.
      Lissa
      Participant

Hi Berlin,

What kind of storage unit is the clock going into? It may make a difference in how it is packed. Is it going to be shipped or travel between sites at all?

Berlin
      Participant

Hi Lissa,

It’s not being shipped anywhere, but I do need to cart it down an elevator, over to the next building via ramp and sidewalk (ugh, why is everything uphill?), then up an elevator to our storage area. The building is climate controlled.

Lissa
      Participant

If it’s going to be stored on a shelf and is a fairly stable item itself, it may only need to have the pendulum immobilized and a dust cover. I would suggest either leave it standing up or laying it on its back directly on a shelf lined with Tyvek or a thin layer of archival foam. The pendulum can be immobilized in either position with a small block of ethafoam under the pendulum for it to rest on. Just make sure the ethafoam doesn’t exert pressure that might causing bending. If you leave the clock standing up on the shelf, depending on the shelf, tie some twill tape across the front so that it can’t fall forward off the shelf or create a more broad base for it by cutting a 2-4 inch deep layer of ethafoam around it in a shallow tray or box. Place soft tyvek between the clock’s surface and anywhere the cut surface of the ethafoam touches the clock. If it’s stored in a cabinet with a fitted door, it won’t really need even a dust cover. If stored on open shelves, you can create a simple dust cover out of either sewn tyvek or unbleached muslin fabric. To move it, place it in a box with padding around it that holds it upright, then place it on a cart and wheel it where you need to go.

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • The forum ‘Connecting to Collections Care Forum Archives – 2015 through 2018’ is closed to new topics and replies.