Connecting to Collections Care Online Community

How to measure chair and furniture in general?

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author
      Zurstrassen
      Participant

At the Horta Museum in Brussels we are going to check our whole catalogue. We would like to find a way to measure with the most accurate way every pieces of furniture. Even a chair (furthermore a chair made by Victor Horta) is not that easy to measure. And I am not convince by the propositions I already know.

Thank you very very much in advance for your kind help.

Jen Hunt Johnson
      Participant

Thanks for your question. I am working on getting some more information and will get a response to you shortly.

Zurstrassen
      Participant

Thank you very much in advance for your kind research.

Jen Hunt Johnson
      Participant

Zurstrassen, could you please briefly describe the methods you have already considered? Thanks.

Zurstrassen
      Participant

The most practical way was to measure the back of the chair against a wall and to use a set square. Of course we only take the measure of the maximum width, length and height. For instance, with a chair, it occur that the top of the back is going farer than the base of the back. Then we measure the width from the top of the back till the end of the seat.

Sharon McCullar
      Participant

That sounds like a very practical approach. You are right that we have to take into consideration that the back angles out from the footprint of the four legs. I admit I had some trouble with this during a project when a volunteer was helping to make muslin dust covers. We quickly discovered that treating the furniture like a large box worked best for making the dust covers, the first few were a little voluminous but we got the hang of cutting the sides with an angle and fitting them more closely after a while.

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • The forum ‘Connecting to Collections Care Forum Archives – 2015 through 2018’ is closed to new topics and replies.