C2C Online Community

Public Group active 4 minutes ago ago

Forums about Connecting to Collections

Group Admins

• Profile picture of Jenny Wiley Arena
  • Profile picture of Jenny Arena

Wand Scanner for Digitization

This topic contains 3 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Carrie Allmendinger Carrie Allmendinger 3 months, 3 weeks ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Jennifer Moss
    Jennifer Moss
    Participant

I work for a very low budget museum. We were wanting to scan some ledgers but did not want to unbind them. We were thinking that a wand scanner would be the best bet. Has anyone done this? Does it turn it alright? What scanner would you recommend?

Profile photo of Ella Rayburn
    Ella Rayburn
    Participant

Scanning turns out fine. We use it for some 1845 – 1875 letterpress business ledgers of the family that founded the town and the local iron industry. Important documents. Letterpress can be difficult under any circumstance; faded inks, feathery. I think the people who are doing the transcription are much happier with the scan that they can manipulate it. Scans can be stored on the computer and searched. Can be printed out: folded into paper airplanes, lunch place mats for fundraisers. We use the wand for any printed material when we don’t want to compromise the spine.

I see researchers using wands on large maps in bound atlases. They scan sections.

I can’t say what we bought as I won’t be in the historical society for a few days. About 3 years ago it was just under $100. New ones are probably better than the one we bought.
    Ella

Profile photo of Rocky
    Rocky
    Participant

I am wanting to purchase a wand scanner do they come in any larger size than
    an 8 inch scan surface.
    Rocky

Profile photo of Carrie Allmendinger
    Carrie Allmendinger
    Participant

I’m looking into wand scanners at my institution as well. I found the VuPoint and IRIScan, and I’m still trying to decide on which one or if there’s better ones out there. The issue I have is the scanner is rolled right on top of the document. I saw the VuPoint offers a stand that is held over the document (at least it looks like it), which is great for letter-size and smaller items. For larger pieces, like maps, is it possible to rig up some kind of frame so the scanner rolls on that instead of the document?

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.