C2C Online Community

Public Group active 2 hours, 26 minutes ago ago

Forums about Connecting to Collections

Group Admins

• Profile picture of Jenny Wiley Arena
  • Profile picture of Jenny Arena

Open-Source Museum Software

This topic contains 4 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by Avatar of Kaia Landon Kaia Landon 12 months ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Kimberly Arthur
    Participant

Hello,

Has anyone heard or had great experience with open-source museum management software? I will be managing an art collection that is not a part of our museum collection, and there is no intention to accession it into the museum. I did a Google search, but as most searches, received a lot back. I figured I’d ask first.

Thanks.

Joe German
    Participant

You might take a look at the Museum Archive software project: http://www.musarch.com/

My local history society is looking at converting our Excel inventory listing to it. I don’t know that it is a true open-source system where you can modify the code but it seems pretty flexible so you may not need that anyway. The basic edition is free and the premium edition requires purchase of the developer’s book on the system (about $25 on Amazon). It’s a pretty basic system if that is adequate for your needs.

Ronald Heroux
    Participant

I use Musarch for our small historical society.  It is easy to use and meets our needs.

Leann Pelvit

We have been using Past Perfect for seven years and really like it. It is user friendly and gives you many options as to the type of collections and the statues.

Kaia Landon
    Participant

Some questions:

Do you need the collection to be available to the public online?
    What other sorts of features do you need?
    What other sorts of features do you want?
    How large is the collection?

Depending on your needs, your best option might be to put it in your existing database as a loan, or whatever non-accessioned terminology seems fitting.

MusArch is not open source.

If the collection is small, and you’re not insistent on open source, you might look at eHive.

CollectionSpace and CollectiveAccess are the two main  open source collections management systems that I’m familiar with. We are in the process of transitioning from PastPerfect to CollectiveAccess, and we like CA more every day. It’s very flexible, customizable, and includes a lot of features we find helpful.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.