C2C Online Community

Public Group active 14 hours, 51 minutes ago ago

Forums about Connecting to Collections

Group Admins

• Profile picture of Jenny Wiley Arena
  • Profile picture of Jenny Arena

Cassette Tapes to Digitize

This topic contains 3 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by Avatar of Kaia Landon Kaia Landon 10 months, 2 weeks ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

Hello,

I have quite a few cassette tapes that need to be digitized. I am in Western Oregon. Does anyone have recommendations for where to take, or if necessary send, these tapes?

Thank you,

Ashley Toutain

T.
    Participant

Hello Ashley,
    There is a  studio studio here in Massachusetts that digitizes cassette tape, video, etc.  I work with several different organizations and their archival collections and this studio was referred to me by one of the historical societies that they had done cassette digitization for.  I have just been in touch with them for a quote for a grant application for an oral history collection that’s on cassette, some reel to reel and some video cassettes.  I asked if they work with organizations out of the area and they do indeed.  The name of the studio is:  Tom Tracy Studios, Tom Tracy is the owner, phone number is 508-776-8968, email is:  tktracy11@comcast.net.  Tom is really great to work with and quite knowledgeable and accommodating.  Hope this helps!

Teresa

Shannon Sullivan
    Participant

My organization digitized around 300 tapes a few years ago but it was more for access than for a permanent preservation solution. If you just need to digitize them to have access, we got a used tape player and hooked it to a computer using AV cables, then using the free software Audacity you can control the recording from the computer while the tape plays. It’s time consuming because it has to be done in real time but a staff member set up the equipment in her work area and did other work while the tapes played through. If you do need to hire someone to do it, you should be able to find people locally who are familiar with audiocassettes since it’s not a long outdated technology. I’m isolated in Wyoming and have been able to use local people with reel to reel equipment and a shop 90 miles away in Idaho  for other audio and video formats. Happy to offer more suggestions if any of these are helpful!

Shannon

Kaia Landon
    Participant

I agree with Shannon. I’d almost guarantee you can find someone locally – we have in far northern Utah, and have done some ourselves as well. Easy but time-consuming is exactly what cassette digitization is. . .

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.