C2C Online Community

Public Group active 3 hours, 41 minutes ago ago

Forums about Connecting to Collections

Group Admins

• Profile picture of Jenny Wiley Arena
  • Profile picture of Jenny Arena

Care of silk badges question

This topic contains 3 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by Avatar of Virginia Weygandt Virginia Weygandt 1 year, 10 months ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Elsa Huxley
    Participant

From Virginia Weygandt: “Our historical society was founded in 1897 by a local group of GAR Veterans who donated, among other things, wonderful silk badges, many with enamel and/or metal medals attached. We have considered, and tried, many ways to preserve, store, and make them easy to access, but none have proved satisfactory. Any help and suggestions would be appreciated. Cost is a factor.”

Ella Rayburn
    Participant

Here is what I did at our historical society. Mixed media is always a challenge. Select acid free tissue appropriate for silk. Light weight acid free poster-type board. Cotton thread, if you can’t find it use embroidery thread that you unravel. Either side of the medal, poke a hole (remove the medal first) then tie the medal onto the board, padding under the thread with a strip of tissue. I slip the thread under the medal. As needed can pad under the medal to keep it at a proper plane. I then make an envelope of mylar. 3_D objects can be quite fun to figure out best storage methods.

Virginia Weygandt
    Participant

Thanks, Ella. We were working on the same idea, so it looks as though we are on the right track.
    Virginia

Virginia Weygandt
    Participant

Thanks, Ella. We were working on the same idea, so it looks as though we are on the right track.
    Virginia

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.