This webinar concerned the moving of collections into temporary or new storage, or re-configuring existing storage. Â Covered topics included estimating time and staff to pack and move items, ordering supplies, arranging transportation, packing properly, and even featuring this behind-the-scenes work in public outreach and education.
Recorded: Â Wednesday, February 8, 2012
Duration: Approximately 60 minutes
Guest Experts: Wendy Jessup, conservator in private practice, and Tova Brandt, Curator of Exhibitions at the Danish Immigrant Museum
Host: Elsa Huxley, Director of Communications, Heritage Preservation
Resources shared during webinar:
- PACCIN (Preparation, Art handling, and Collections Care Information Network) is a Professional Interest Committee of the American Association of Museums (AAM).
- NEDCC â€“ Packing and Shipping Paper Artifacts
- Smithsonian Moving, Packing, and Shipping Furniturehttp://www.si.edu/mci/english/learn_more/taking_care/movefurn.html
- NPS Museum Handbook, Part I: Museum Collections Ch. 6: Handling, Packing, and Shipping (4.7MB) 1999
- NPS Conserve O Gram: Â How to Make a Paper Board Crate
- NPS Conserve O Gram: Â Packing a Two-Dimensional Object
- NPS Conserve O Gram: Â Retrofitting a Moving Van to Transport Museum Collections