Have you ever found yourself trying to protect your organizationâ€™s collections from well-meaning volunteers, board members, colleagues, or even from members of the community who donâ€™t understand why their proposal may not be in the best interest of the collections? Using real-life examples, instructor Bruce MacLeish demonstrated how to use a collections management policy to help make and enforce difficult decisions. In doing so, Bruce highlighted the essential elements of collections management policies.
This webinar was created in partnership withÂ American Association for State and Local Historyâ€™sÂ Small Museum Committee.
- PowerPoint Presentation Handout
- Developing a Collections Management Policy, American Alliance of Museums
- Outline for Collections Management Policy, prepared by Bruce MacLeish
- Collections Management Policy Template, prepared by Bruce MacLeish
- Standards and Excellence Program for History Organizations, American Association for State and Local History
- Museum Registration Methods 5th Edition, Editors Rebecca Buck and Jean Allman ($76 on Amazon)
- The Care of Antiques and Â Historical Collections, Per E. Guldbeck with revisions and additions by A. Bruce MacLeish ($23.14 on Amazon)
- American Association for State and Local History
- Small Museums Committee and information on how to join the Small Museums Listserv
- Small Museums Online Community
Recorded: Wednesday, October 2, 2013
Duration:Â Approximately 74 minutes
Guest Expert:Â Bruce MacLeish, Director of Collections, Newport Restoration Foundation